Sunday, March 15, 2009

A New Earth

Buzz It

In Denmark, I found a book from Anthony Robbins: Awakening the Giant Within (Ébreszd Fel a Benned Szunnyadó Óriást), and an audiobook Get the Edge. I already can see that reading and listening them has had (and will have) a great effect on my life.


A few days ago I got another very interesting book from my Dutch friend, Rob:




Eckhart Tolle – A New Earth (Új Föld)



And here are "some" quotes from this book:


My toy later becomes my car, my house, my clothes, and so on. I try to find myself in things but never quite make it and end up losing myself in them. That is the fate of the ego.

The ego satisfaction is short-­lived and so you keep looking for more, keep buying, keep consuming.

The ego tends to equate having with B eing: I have, therefore I am. And the more I have, the more I am. The ego lives through comparison. How you are seen by others turns into how you see yourself.

The ego’s sense of self­worth is in most cases bo und up with the worth you have in the eyes of others. You need others to give you a sense of self, and if you live in a culture that to a large extent equates self­worth with how much and what you have, if you cannot look through this collective delusion, you will be condemned to chasing after things for the rest of your life in the vain hope of finding your worth and completion of your sense of self there.

Most egos have conflicting wants. They want different things at different times or may not even know what they want except that they don't want what is: the present moment. Unease, restlessness, boredom, anxiety, dissatisfaction , are the result of unfulfilled wanting. Wanting is structural, so no amount of content can provide lasting fulfillment as long as that mental structure remains in place.

Whatever you fight, you strengthen, and what you resist, persists.

According to the Journal of the American Medical Association, medical treatment is the third­leading cause of death after heart disease and cancer in the United States. Homeopathy and Chinese medicine are two examples of possible alternative approaches to disease that do not treat the illness as an enemy and therefore do not create new diseases.

Whatever behavior the ego manifests, the hidden motivating force is always the same: the need to stand out, be special, be in control; the need for power, for attention, for more. And, of course, the need to feel a sense of separation, that is to say, the need for opposition, enemies.

The underlying emotion that governs all the activity of the ego is fear. The fear of being nobody, the fear of nonexistence, the fear of death. All its activities are ultimately designed to eliminate this fear, but the most the ego can ever do is to cover it up temporarily with an intimate relationship, a new possession, or winning at this or that. Illusion will never satisfy you. Only the truth of who you are, if realized, will set you free.

And many more...


While the Antony Robbins book was a kind of guide how to live our lives, this Eckhart Tolle book can be a path to get to know my soul. But this book is very quintessential, I don’t read more than an article (2-3 pages) per day: I need to give time to myself to process what I’ve read.


Thx again, Rob, for recommending this book!


Tweet It! Facebook

2 comments:

Rihards Briģis said...

Send me the "giant" bok, I havent found it

tamás said...

yeah, finding out who you are...
only most people get to the wrong conclusion ( I am what I posess)