Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Toastmasters International

Buzz It

I've found the Toastmaster website a few months before, in Denmark. I got very interested in it - but unfortunately I didn't have a chance to become a member in Denmark. So what is this about?

Well, it's not about making toasters!

From a humble beginning in 1924 at the YMCA in Santa Ana, California, Toastmasters International has grown to become a world leader in helping people become more competent and comfortable in front of an audience. The nonprofit organization now has nearly 235,000 members in 11,700 clubs in 92countries, offering a proven – and enjoyable! – way to practice and hone communication and leadership skills.
http://www.toastmasters.org/


The good thing about the Toastmaster, that it usually exists in every country and if it's not near to you, you still can start a club at your town. In Denmark, there was only 1 Toastmaster Club in Copenhagen - 300km away from Juelsminde where I lived. But I was happy to see, that there is one in Mozambique and it's in Maputo. I expected to have this Club placed in the downtown - but being very lucky again, it's 20km away from the capital, in MOZAL, in the industrial park just next to the Beluluane HOPE Center where I work (only 15 minutes walking distance).

So today I joined The Toastmasters Maputo Club. The Club meeting was very nice and interesting, and I received a nice welcome there. The people were very-very nice there - I even got a lift home from one of the members (causing 1 hour detour for him).

If you got interested in it, you check out if you already have a Toastmasters Club near to you:

It's really worth to visit a club meeting! ;)




. Tweet It! Facebook

1 comment:

Rihards Briģis said...

Well, now I dont know what to do. For sure there isnt one here in LV - atleast thats what the search engine says.

I could start one by April, te good thing is tat my professional experience has led me to contacts with probably the best speakers in the country.
Ill check with them later to see if there are any standrards for tis. Lucky for me, Im managing m presentations swiftly and always wanted to help oters with presenting themselves - after all tere isnt anyting more terrible ten sitting in a seminal, listening to a boring presentation and not know ow long it will last.

Cheers,
R.