Sunday, February 15, 2009

Vehicles of Maputo

Buzz It


The variety of the cars and trucks here is huge - but for the first sight it seems that less than half of the vehicles are passenger cars. Most of the vehicles are pickups / 4 wheelers, "chapas", and huge trucks (mainly from the 70s-80s). The very high prevalence of the pickups and 4 wheelers is due to the very bad quality of the roads (India has top quality roads compared to Mozambique).

Trucks of Mozambique


Usually everything is used here until it's completely worn out. The cars, trucks also...


It must have been a long way from Germany


This is how the Coca-Cola truck
could have looked like in the USA in the 70s...


I always expect some Cokes to fall down, but it never happens


Toyota Corolla is one of the most popular car - at least here in Maputo

It seems that more than half of all kind of vehicles are Toyota here...


I didn't expect that first time seeing an S600 in my life
would be in Mozambique


"Chapa"

You can barely see local buses. "Chapa" is used for mass transportation in and around the cities. Chapa is a Toyota Hiace used for carrying passangers. Usually it goes with full capacity (around 25-26 people).

Fighting for the last places

When you are one of the last ones who gets in, than you stay at the door. When I was in this situation, I had to keep the same posture as I kept last week at Snowboarding:
- both of my knees were bended (I couldn't stand up),
- everything was about balancing (since the chapa was not full with Mozambican Top-Models, I didn't want to land in anybody's lap...)


The guy will get in the chapa and
the door will be closed in the next few meters...



They usually travel on truck in the rural areas, not in the city.
And they seem to enjoy it - at least I always hear them singing... :)


End the most popular one is of course the 4 wheeler! All kind!


I also saw a Kawasaki Ninja last night - but I couldn't take a picture of it. But it's very cruel to import / export Kawasaki (or any other speedbikes) to Mozambique; both the climate and the quality of the road are not nice enough to these sensitive creatures...

I see much more new cars than I expected. But I'm sure it's only because I'm in the capital. A few hundred kilometers away from the capital and from the coastline, I'm sure everything is much different...


Tweet It! Facebook

No comments: