Friday, February 13, 2009

The HOPE Project

Buzz It
.

I'm in the HOPE project here in Maputo. It's an AIDS related project, the most common activities are:
- mobilization of the people (for testing themselves),
- free HIV testings
- raising awareness about HIV/AIDS (prevention, positive living, etc)
- orphanage program

This is one of the least structured project here, meaning that DIs in this project got the most freedom to implement their ideas - within the framework of the project. There are two HOPE stations here, one right next to our campus, and the other one is in Beluluane, next to Maputo (circa 1.5-2 hours away from here).

Today I talked to my Project Leader (PL). Well, actually, she is a temporary PL here now. The previous Project Leader left yesterday (just one day after I arrived). She said that tomorrow I'll go to the Beluluane HOPE station with the others, and we will have some programs with the local orphans. Next week I'll also be out in Beluluane every day.

In the afternoon we went out to the community for mobilisation. It means we (the local volunteers and the DIs) went from house to house in the neighborhood to briefly tell the people about the activities and services of our HOPE center, and to offer them a quick HIV test right away. It was a good afternoon - but I also realized that I have to work hard on my Portuguese.


We work 5 and a half day every week (Saturday only a half day), the Sunday is off. During the 6 months we will get 2 weeks investigation week when we can travel in order to get primary info for our research (yes, we're supposed to do a research in our project about a project we choose). We will also get one week vacation - I already have some plans for this one! ;)


Tweet It! Facebook

No comments: